If you’re looking for the best night vision goggles, you have to be a knowledgeable consumer.
That’s why we’ve created this buyer’s guide. We’ve tested and selected the top 3 devices, including a night vision monocular, night vision binoculars and hands-free night vision glasses. We’ve also narrowed down some of the top features you should consider before making your final selection.
First, let’s review the basics so you know what to expect from your new night vision device.
- 1 How Night Vision Goggles Work
- 2 Generations of Night Vision Goggles
- 3 Generation 1 Viewing Capability
- 4 Best Night Vision Goggles Reviews
- 4.1 1. Bushnell LYNX Gen 1 Night Vision Binocular Review
- 4.2 2. ATN Night Scout Gen 1 + 5x Night Vision Binocular Review
- 4.3 3. Carson MiniAura Digital Night Vision Monocular Review
- 4.4 4. Night Owl Lightweight Night Vision Monocular Review
- 4.5 5. Night Owl Optics 5-Power Night Vision Monocular Review
- 4.6 6. Night Owl Pro Nexgen Night Vision Binocular Review
- 4.7 7. Xgen 2.1x Digital Night Vision Viewer Review
- 4.8 8. Yukon NV 1×24 Goggles Review
- 4.9 9. Yukon NVMT 1×24 Head Mount Kit Review
- 4.10 10. Yukon YK28041 Digital Ranger 5 x 42 Night Vision Monocular Review
How Night Vision Goggles Work
Night vision goggles work by amplifying all of the available light in your environment. Sometimes extra light is provided with an infrared (IR) illuminator that sends out light waves which are invisible to the naked eye. When light enters the lens of the device, it hits the front of the intensifier tube. This front piece contains a photocathode, which uses high-energy electrons to create an image on the phosphor screen. The image on the phosphor screen is then projected through the eyepiece. This process can increase the brightness of the image from 15 times to 45,000 times.
Generations of Night Vision Goggles
Night vision devices are sometimes rated by their generation of technology, from Generation 0 through Generation 4. For most people, a Generation 1 (or “1st generation) device meets their needs. A pair of second generation night vision goggles, which can cost thousands of dollars, has 45 times more light amplification and a 20 percent better resolution, but the difference to the human eye is nearly negligible considering the huge cost increase. At the same time, don’t feel you have to settle for super cheap night vision goggles. The quality of a toy versus a true Generation 1 is hugely noticeable.
Still, not all 1st generation night vision glasses are created equally. You’ll see this first in the style. There are night vision binoculars, which include two lenses (but rarely two intensifiers) to allow you to view with two eyes. Some of these binoculars come with a mount or head strap so you can use the device hands-free. The second common option is the night vision monocular, which is a single lens and single intensifier with a single eyepiece. These are often designed for use as a scope on a rifle. (Night vision scopes are illegal in some countries and in the State of California, so be sure to double check the laws in your area.)
Generation 1 Viewing Capability
A lot of first-time buyers ask, “Why do manufacturers list such confusing information about their viewing capability?” Quite simply, it’s because there are so many variables during actual usage. Night vision goggles are not like binoculars or cameras that have easy-to-determine specs and perfectly replicable function. With night vision, there are a lot of factors that can affect performance.
For instance, is this moon out? How full is the moon in its lunar phase? Is it overcast, which blocks the starlight, too? How dense are the clouds? Are you in an open field or near light-absorbing foliage?
In general, with a Generation 1 device, you can expect a maximum of 75 yards on an overcast night and up to 200 yards on a clear night with a full moon, depending on the exact conditions on the ground. For comparison’s sake, a Generation 2 device will give you approximately 100 yards on an overcast night and 300 yards with an unobstructed full moon. However, keep in mind that a pair of night vision goggles is designed primarily for photo-receptivity of light, not magnification like normal binoculars.
Best Night Vision Goggles Reviews
1. Bushnell LYNX Gen 1 Night Vision Binocular Review
Seen by many as a superior quality, technologically advanced pair of night vision binocular, the Bushnell LYNX Gen 1 Night Vision Binocular have a few significant advantages over many of their competing brands and models priced at a similar value.
Offering some of the clearest and brightest images you’ll get from a device such as this, the Bushnell is based on a 1st Gen system that allows you to explore even the darkest areas without having to strain your eyes or constantly adjust for better clarity.
Important Features and Advantages 2 batteries required.
- If you want the best night vision binocular, you need to be prepared for what they can truly offer for the price. These binocular boast a significant number of quality built-in features and impressive practical assets that may surprise most inexperienced users:
- The Bushnell LYNX Gen 1 are perfect for use under low light conditions. Its high resolution Gen 1+ image intensifier tube is just what you need for significantly increasing the intensity of available lighting.
- 2 AAA battery is required for the device to work properly.
- Flip-up head gear is also available as part of the additional practical accessories that are provided together with the goggles.
- The Bushnell LYNX Gen 1 weigh less than 1.8 pounds, being not only one of the most advanced set of goggles available for the price, but also among the lightweight and most comfortable devices currently on the market.
- A built-in flood infrared illuminator further increases your chances of getting an adequate amount of light during nighttime or other situations when light is scarce.
Although considered to be a quality, hi-tech pair of binocular, the Bushnell LYNX is still not a perfect gadget. Some buyers, though attesting to the night vision binocular’ overall value, say that they are mostly impressed by it, but a few small improvements should definitely be in order.
Even though they are priced below $550, many people feel the Bushnell LYNX Gen1 generation night vision binocular are slightly too expensive. This can be a problem for those in search of a cheap product due to financial difficulties.
Another problem that you might run into is the fact that the focus is a little more difficult to handle than on most highly advanced units. If you have to constantly switch between focusing on faraway and closer objects, this issue may be one you should know about.
Lightweight, powerful and overall practical, the Bushnell LYNX is among the few 1st Gen night vision binocular you will find in this pricing range that provide the level of reliability, clarity and efficiency you may need for a varied set of tasks – whether you need them for infrared photography or just observing the wildlife in your home garden during the night.
According to experts, the impressive range, durability and compact, practical construction of the Bushnell LYNX Gen 1 Night Vision Binocular are more than worth the overall cost, as long as you are interested in using the device on a regular basis.
2. ATN Night Scout Gen 1 + 5x Night Vision Binocular Review
When it comes to combining Generation 1 light amplification with quality IR, the ATN Night Scout Gen 1 + 5x Night Vision Binocular may be just the thing to provide the necessary power and sustained value for anything from observing night time wild life to keeping your home safe.
A relatively low cost, portable device, one of the most impressive qualities of the Night Scout is that it’s quite durable, being capable of resisting under conditions of low and high temperature, as well as keeping the quality of its images at a good level even when it comes to fog or difficult weather.
- The ATN Night Scout Gen 1 + 5x Night Vision Binocular was fitted with a number of technological features that work to improve the unit’s night vision capabilities, battery life and overall ease of use:
- You will find the device to be very easy to control, a feat provided by its straightforward digital controls and high grade SMART technology featuring an advanced proximity sensor.
- The 90mm lens system is quite powerful, making 5X magnification easy to obtain while being encased in its unique Proshield lens coating.
- As for the stats, the binoculars can handle distance ranges of more than 20 meters quite easily, while maintaining a field of view of about 20 degrees and allowing for 40 lp/mm resolution.
- The ATN Night Scout Gen 1 + 5x Night Vision Binocular was built using a type of high grade aluminum alloy which provides it with its lightweight properties and higher than average level of resilience.
- The entire device weighs only 3.3 pounds (1.5 kg), being portable enough for virtually any practical purposes.
Probably the most significant problem that the Night Scout Gen 1 binocular presents is its battery life. Although the two CR123A batteries it requires for running are included into the initial package, the device is only capable of about 20 hours of continuous use without the IR turned on.
Another small issue you might run into when it comes to using the ATN Night Scout Gen 1 + 5x Night Vision Binocular at a short notice is its focusing capabilities which are not as user friendly as one might expect. Overall, buyers have said that this is not an exceedingly significant problem, however, since the Scout still tends to work quite well once you get used to it.
Good Value for the Money
Despite a few minor issues, the reliability and technologically advanced features that you get from using the device are still very impressive. You might not be able to use it as the perfect tool for nighttime security, but it will work perfectly for obtaining clear images when observing wildlife or scouting the area on a camping trip or in the case of other outdoor activities.
All in all, the price is considered to be “just right” by most experts, as well as those who have bought and used the ATN Night Scout Gen 1 + 5x Night Vision Binocular, and the durable and intelligent construction of the device will keep it usable even under trying circumstances.
3. Carson MiniAura Digital Night Vision Monocular Review
Devised for the purpose of making night vision fun, as well as practical out on the open field during a hunting or camping vacation, the Carson MiniAura Digital Night Vision Monocular is one of the most remarkable low-budget night vision devices you are likely to find.
Digital Night Vision Made Easy
Whether you’re looking for a fun little gadget to enable you to see in the dark or you want something practical for viewing nighttime wildlife, exploring your camp site during the night or read a sign or inscription outside after the sun went down, the Carson MiniAura Digital Night Vision Monocular may quite possibly be the perfect device for the job.
Unlike other night vision monocular devices, the Carson MiniAura is based on a completely digital construction. It allows for easy intensity adjustments, works well in complete darkness, and fits easily in your smallest pocket.
Additionally, here are a few other special qualities and features of the Carson MiniAura Digital Night Vision Monocular that you may be interested in:
- The Carson MiniAura monocular takes the common issues associated with intensifier tubes that often burn out over time out of the equation by eliminating their use entirely and replacing them with a digital design.
- Instead of the common green colored images associated with most night vision goggles and monocular devices, the MiniAura provides a crystal clear, black and white image.
- You can see at a distance of about 82 yards in front of you at an impressive viewing angle of 19 degrees.
- The whole device is quite small, weighing about 3.2 ounces and measuring 2.6 x 2.2 x 2.2 inches to offer an ultimate level of portability.
- Finally, the device is powered by three common AAA batteries (These are, however, not included in the package).
Shortcoming of the Device
Of course, there’ s always a trade-off, and despite the many advantages and impressive features the Carson MiniAura Digital Night Vision Monocular has to offer, it still falls short in some areas.
If you want to be able to both see your surroundings and remain invisible in pitch-black darkness, this might not be your best buy. The MiniAura emits a small light that – while isn’t bright enough to be too noticeable – could be detected when there’s no other light source in the area.
Also, the unit doesn’t do well in locations where the surrounding light is significantly brighter. Small performance issues can occur, making the image difficult to see even during bright full moon nights.
Should You Buy It?
Now, whether or not you should buy the Carson MiniAura largely depends on what you want to use it for. Due to the fact that it’s easy to detect and the light it uses can’t go through glass, it may be a poor choice for security tasks.
On the other hand, if you live in a place where you’d need a handy little night vision device to help you see in poorly lit areas, or if you go on frequent hunting trips and you want to see your pray in the dark, the Carson MiniAura Digital Night Vision Monocular probably represents one of the most practical choices you can make in terms of price, practicality and convenience.
4. Night Owl Lightweight Night Vision Monocular Review
The Night Owl Lightweight Night Vision Monocular is a 4-power, high grade model designed to provide adequate magnification and accurate identification for targets located at great distances. The device offers impressive illumination and a wide field of view capable of covering about 53 feet at a distance of 200 feet.
Impressive Capabilities and Features
Capable of clear 4X magnification and constructed to be able to amplify normal ambient light up to 500 times its regular value, the Night Owl lightweight Night Vision Monocular is definitely one of the most powerful models you will encounter, despite the fact that it’s comparatively a lot cheaper than regular night vision monocular devices.
Regardless of its lower than average price, the technical details and features that the Night Owl boasts are quite significant:
- Its high quality, Gen-1 image intensifier offers heightened light sensitivity in low light conditions while maintaining the image clarity at overall impressive levels.
- The Night Owl Lightweight Night Vision Monocular has a built-in IR illuminator that facilitates not only the detection, but also the identification of various targets even in conditions involving pitch-black darkness.
- A combination of a 35 lp/mm resolution and a spectral sensitivity of 400-900nm makes it possible for the Night Owl to provide remarkable detail and crystal clear images even when it comes to scanning objects at larger distances.
- All-glass optics offers a more genuine and accurate construction, while its high level of quality maintains the stability of the entire optical system.
- The housing and finish of the monocular are made of high grade, durable materials. The lens housing is made from high quality, lightweight aluminum, and a soft-touch rubberized finish envelops the entire device.
- The Night Owl monocular is also an extremely practical gadget. It weighs only 1.2 pounds, and it features an impressive battery life of 50-100 hours, depending on how much you use the infrared setting.
What to Look Out for
Although the Night Owl Lightweight Night Vision Monocular has numerous advantages over practically any other similarly priced night vision viewers, there are a few notable aspects you should take into account before buying it:
- First of all, it doesn’t run on regular batteries. The Night Owl requires a type-123, 3V lithium battery which is not included in the package and may be more expensive than conventional power sources.
- Also, the manual focus and the minimal focal distance of about 5-6 feet can make it slightly difficult to focus on objects located closer to the device.
A High Quality Monocular at a Fair Price
When you look at all the remarkable features which come with the Night Owl and the large number of positive reviews the gadget has managed to gather, you’d likely think that the price of the unit is probably well over $300-400 or so.
Nevertheless, the Night Owl Lightweight Night Vision Monocular is available at a price of less than $200, making it an excellent low-cost, high quality night vision device that can be used for a variety of applications, including nighttime security, infrared photography and night vision wildlife monitoring in remote areas.
5. Night Owl Optics 5-Power Night Vision Monocular Review
The Night Owl Optics 5-Power Night Vision Monocular is a single-lens scope-style monocular device that uses first generation night vision imaging to produce a clear image in varying shades of darkness. It is constructed out of rugged plastic, with high quality glass lenses. This Night Owl brand monocular offers magnification, infrared illumination for completely dark environments and light amplification of up to 500 times the original source level.
Unlike many older first generation night vision products, this monocular manages to produce high levels of magnification without sacrificing the level of light amplification in the image. This alone could be a deal breaker for many optics enthusiasts and nighttime hunters who need to have effective magnification of their targets in low light conditions.
The Night Owl Optics 5-Power Night Vision Monocular makes a very attractive option for a number of potential customers, who may be interested in it for Night Owl’s array of features, including the following:
Night Owl Optics 5-Power Features
- High-Powered Magnification. This monocular scope offers up to 5x magnification without lowering the level of light amplification, and does so in the high resolution of 35 lp/mm on center.
- Rugged, Outdoors-Ready Construction. The shell of this unit is made of a tough, hardened plastic that withstands the elements and protects its inner mechanisms from degradation and damage.
- All-Glass Optics. All of the optical components are precision-crafted out of high quality optical glass, with the final exterior lens being protected by a coating covering its fragile optics.
- Single-Handed Manual Focus. The operation of the manual focus for the Night Owl Optics 5-Power Night Vision Monocular is easily done using one hand. This is ideal for a night vision scope that does not have a head strap.
- Long Battery Life. Depending on the power of the infrared illumination setting, it is possible to achieve between 45 hours and 100 hours of usage from a single battery charge.
Pros And Cons
The Night Owl Optics 5-Power Night Vision Monocular is a great asset for the nighttime hunter or optics enthusiast who would like to have an easy handheld night vision solution on-hand when the time calls for it. Its small, lightweight construction and long battery life are clear stand out benefits, as is the clarity of the image it produces, even though it is a first generation night vision device.
The main drawback to this binocular is that the infrared illuminator does not always extend its reach as far out as the magnification goes. 5x magnification can produce some pretty vivid images at medium distance, but without the ambient light to provide it, it is often too far to tell any details.
This product is thoughtfully designed and well crafted, especially for campers and hunters who want to be able to scope out far places at night. The Night Owl Optics 5-Power Night Vision Monocular is highly recommended for such use, and while it is not a military night vision system, it is a great tool for the adventuring enthusiast.
6. Night Owl Pro Nexgen Night Vision Binocular Review
For any optical gadget enthusiast who is need of high magnification night vision binoculars, the Night Owl Pro Nexgen Night Vision Binocular is a very attractive option for its price. This generation 1 night vision binocular system features one of the highest magnifications possible for a handheld binocular, and offers a number of sophisticated features catering to the discriminating customer.
These binoculars represent the most advanced technology made available by any first generation night vision system, and do so at a price considerably lower than that of many competing brands. The lenses are of high quality and provide a clear infrared image when the illuminating sensor is switched on. In general, the night vision illumination works better as it gets darker, making these best suited for situations of complete blackness, such as the outdoors on moonless or cloudy nights.
Night Owl Pro Nexgen Features
- Powerful 5x Magnification. The Night Owl Pro Nexgen Night Vision Binocular offers the highest level of magnification of any consumer level night vision system of the first generation, with a field of view corresponding to 53 feet at a distance of 200 feet.
- Easily Adjustable Focus. The central focusing mechanism makes it easy to adjust focus manually while watching your target. The focus knob is sturdy and the binocular is highly responsive to the shift in focus.
- Adjustable Eyepiece Width. These night vision binoculars are designed to fit any size, and feature a solidly designed locking mechanism for eyepiece adjustment, making it easy to adapt them to your face.
- Sturdy Lightweight Construction. At 38 ounces, the Night Owl Pro is small and light enough to make an easy addition to any camping or hunting expedition supply list, and constructed solidly enough to last through it.
- High Quality Optics. The all-glass lenses used in these binoculars are produced under stringent quality standards and provide clear observation under a variety of light and lightless conditions.
Pros And Cons
The Night Owl Pro Nexgen Night Vision Binocular is a high performing binocular that delivers a clear image, free of unnatural digital artifacts. Of its many benefits, the long battery life (between 40 and 80 hours) stands out, as does the resolution of 35 lp/mm at center.
The solid construction and reliability of the binocular makes it ideal for outdoor use, and is a deal breaking selling point when it comes to gadgets like these – the market for night vision tools is filled with cheap plastic imitation type products; something this is not
The Night Owl Pro Nexgen Night Vision Binocular would be much better if it shipped with a battery. It uses a 3-volt type-123 lithium battery that is not always available to find at your local supermarket, although a large hardware store will certainly have a good supply.
If you are looking for inexpensive, effective night vision binoculars with a high degree of magnification, these could be the best option on the market at the moment. The Night Owl Pro Nexgen Night Vision Binocular is highly recommended as a solution for any night vision gadget or optical enthusiast.
7. Xgen 2.1x Digital Night Vision Viewer Review
If you are a hunter or spy gear enthusiast looking for an inexpensive and reliable night vision tool, the Xgen 2.1x Digital Night Vision Viewer is an attractively priced option that may address your needs without taxing your wallet. Its small size, ease of use and preprogrammed illumination settings are ideal for the user who wants a simple and effective night vision scope.
By using a powerful infrared sensor, this night vision viewer makes it possible to see up to 200 feet ahead in total darkness, and is equally useful in low-light conditions. The adjustable illumination settings allow for the unit to adapt to the ambient light conditions of its environment without producing a burned out image that is difficult to interpret.
The features that the Xgen 2.1x Digital Night Vision Viewer offers are designed for the hobbyist or hunter who is in need of a small, simple solution to night vision without paying excessive prices for highly sophisticated equipment.
Xgen 2.1x Features
- Sturdy, Lightweight Construction. Weighing in at only 7 ounces, this night vision scope makes a great addition to any weapon or tool where mass is a priority. It is built of a solid plastic and does not feel like a toy in your hands.
- 2.1x Magnification. The Xgen 2.1x Digital Night Vision Viewer offers more than double the magnification power of a normal lens, offering a highly useful range of sight in darkness.
- 200 Feet Of Night Vision Sight. The 20mm lens of this night vision scope is useful at distances of up to 200 feet. This is an ideal amount of distance when it comes to hunting at night.
- Uses Standard AAA Batteries. Unlike the custom battery needs of competing night vision monocles, this night vision scope uses standard and easy-to-find AAA batteries.
- VGA-Quality Sensor. Offering a sensor resolution of 640 x 480 pixels, this night vision scope brings a clear enough image for a person to operate easily at night without feeling disoriented.
Pros And Cons
The great price and feature set of the Xgen 2.1x Digital Night Vision Viewer make it a highly attractive item for the individual who needs an inexpensive single-lens night vision solution.
It would be unfair to expect military quality out of this device, but it does deliver a clear enough image for hunters and other gadget enthusiasts to see in the dark. The simple, automatic illumination settings make it very useful for amateurs who do not want to confuse themselves with sophisticated optical equipment.
The main drawback to this device is that the battery life is somewhat short, especially when put to full-illumination mode in complete darkness. It holds enough charge for reasonable uninterrupted use, but you may find yourself needing to carry some spare AAA’s just in case.
If you are on the market for a simple, affordable night vision monocle, the Xgen 2.1x Digital Night Vision Viewer is a great addition to your camping or hunting supply bag.
8. Yukon NV 1×24 Goggles Review
Yukon – NV 1×24 Goggles are great tracking goggles for the night hunting enthusiast or anyone who has the need to see, under the cover of the darkness, in stereoscopic infrared. With this unit, Yukon has provided a simple hands free night vision tool that carries sophisticated features in a lightweight, easy to operate unit.
While the market for inexpensive night vision goggles is one that is rife with glorified toys and other misrepresented products, Yukon’s tracker goggles deliver on their promise for clear, unobstructed night vision with adjustable magnification. A great deal of thought has been put into the design of these goggles, made evident from such features as the Eclipse Lens Cover system and easily accessed central focusing knob.
If you are in the market for an inexpensive night vision goggle solution, Yukon – NV 1×24 Goggles may represent your best choice due to the combination of thoughtful design, sturdy construction and sophisticated features. A list of some of those features can be found below.
Yukon NV 1×24 Features
- Head-Mounted Stereoscopic Night Vision. Utilizing rubber straps to fix the binoculars to your head allows you to work in the dark while keeping both of your hands free. The rubber straps are adjustable and will fit any size head, including one that is wearing a cap or helmet
- Eclipse Lens Cover System. If you have used night vision goggles before and lost your lens caps, you are not alone. The lens covering system of these Yukon – NV 1×24 Goggles thoughtfully avoids this frustrating episode. The covers for the lenses of these goggles are attached, simply flipping up away from the optics and attaching onto the body of the binoculars.
- Lightweight Construction. At 13.4 ounces, you can wear these night vision goggles comfortably for a very long time without feeling strained by the weight of having the eyepieces strapped to your head. After a short time, it almost feels like not wearing any binoculars at all.
- Water- And Fog-Resistant. This is a great feature for outdoor night hunters. If you have had your night vision goggles rendered useless by the presence of fog, then you understand why. These goggles easily see through thick humidity and are not phased by the introduction of water into the environment.
- High Resolution Optics And Magnification. These goggles offer enough resolution to clearly identify what is happening in the immediate vicinity for distances of up to 300 feet, as well as a single-power magnification option for zooming.
Pros And Cons
Yukon – NV 1×24 Goggles are a great product for any nocturnal hunter or sportsman. With comfortable ergonomic design, long-lasting batteries and a professional feel, they provide a great and inexpensive entrance to the world of night vision.
The only disadvantage of these goggles is with the focusing mechanism- the focus works manually, which is to be expected, but can be awkward to adjust while wearing the goggles. The focusing mechanism could have been better placed or designed.
The Yukon – NV 1×24 Goggles are a great buy for the hunter or night vision enthusiast who is looking for a simple, yet sophisticated night vision solution from a reputable company without breaking the bank.
9. Yukon NVMT 1×24 Head Mount Kit Review
The Yukon NVMT 1×24 Head Mount Kit represents an attractive single-scope head mounted solution to the nighttime hunter or optical enthusiast who wants to keep his hands free while operating under the cover of darkness. Use of this single-scoped night vision kit has been streamlined by removing magnification and focus controls and concentrating on delivering the highest resolution image possible. This head-mounted night vision solution can also be used for handheld operation, if the user should desire a balance between monocular night vision and binocular regular vision. It features an infrared illuminating light source that can be used to increase its sensitivity to the surrounding area, offering night vision capabilities even in situations where no ambient light whatsoever is present.
Yukon NVMT 1×24 Features
- Head-Mounted, Hands Free Operation. The Yukon NVMT 1×24 Head Mount Kit can be mounted onto the user’s head with a secure, weather-resistant headgear that places the eyesight comfortably over the user’s right eye.
- Adaptable For Photo And Video Equipment. The mounting scheme for the monocular night vision device can also be used for photo and video equipment, allowing for the simple modification of existing rigs for night vision capabilities.
- Affixed Lens Cap. You will never have to worry about losing the cap to the lens of this night vision device because it fixes itself to the outside of the device’s shell where it remains stable.
- Infrared Illumination. The attached illuminator provides a pulsating infrared beam that illuminates nearby objects with a deep infrared glow that only night vision equipment can detect.
- High Resolution First Generation Optics. With a resolution of 32-36 lp/mm on center, the Yukon NVMT 1×24 Head Mount Kit offers some of the highest ratings available for first generation night vision devices.
- Rugged, Weather Resistant Construction. The plastic body of this night vision monocle is designed to take damage without being compromised and lives up to the challenge. It is definitely an outdoors tool that can be relied upon.
Pros And Cons
The major benefits of the Yukon NVMT 1×24 Head Mount Kit are as follows: the extremely simple operation, easy and comfortably head-mounted utility, and high image quality are all good motivators to choose this product as your go-to night vision solution.
While magnifying night vision goggles are widely available on the market, in many cases, the magnifying element is an afterthought add-on that does not need to be included, and, in this case, the product does perfectly fine without it.
The one main disadvantage to this device is that it can only be mounted on the right eye. Many hunters would prefer to have the option of left-eye monocular night vision, but this is not possible without major modification to the affixing mechanism.
This is a high quality device that any nighttime hunter or outdoors adventurer would be wise to keep in their overnight bag. It is easy to recommend the Yukon NVMT 1×24 Head Mount Kit for its merits as a night vision device that performs on all its promised duties
10. Yukon YK28041 Digital Ranger 5 x 42 Night Vision Monocular Review
With a level of performance that could shame many similar night vision devices available in higher price ranges and a design right out of science fiction movies, the Yukon YK28041 Digital Ranger 5 x 42 Night Vision Monocular may be just the convenient, easy to use and reliable gadget you need for anything from common nighttime photography to UFO hunting.
Hi-Tech Features to Take into Account
- With two advanced IR illuminators working independently to provide optimal vision, the Yukon YK28041 Digital Ranger 5 x 42 Night Vision Monocular works great in any setting, regardless of how dark it gets.
- Its 42mm lens made out of clear, multicolored glass offers an optical magnification output of 5X.
- The unit supports both recording and NTFS compatible signal transmission.
- The battery can last for up to 10 hours, the IR feature only consuming about 400mW.
- The Ranger can be used equally well for both day and nighttime magnification, and it includes a neck strap, carrying case, AC adapters and a ¼ inch tripod socket.
Drawbacks and Advantages
Many have argued against buying monocular devices such as the Yukon due to the technological advantages offered by Gen 1 devices. However, when comparing them to this little gadget, you might be surprised at the outcome.
Here are only a few of the benefits of the Yukon YK28041 Digital Ranger 5 x 42 Night Vision Monocular as expressed by buyers and reviewers:
- The brightness that the device generates is quite remarkable, and some of those who tried it out were completely impressed by it. Also, unlike Gen 1 goggles, the Ranger is not easily damaged by extremely bright light.
- The light amplification is particularly good in urban areas and in the moonlight; however, the best performance is reached without the infrared turned on.
- DVR recordings are enhanced by the Ranger’s exceptional resolution which offers perfect clarity provided that you’ve managed to focus the lens properly – a process that’s not very difficult overall.
- Virtually every aspect of the device was meant to be practical, including its compact, lightweight construction, modern design built for easy accessibility and overall affordable price.
Now let’s take a look at some of the disadvantages of the device:
- While the high IR beam of the Yukon YK28041 digital ranger 5 x 42 Night Vision Monocular can be switched on and off, the same option is not available for the low IR beam which was designed to stay on continuously while the device is on.
- Also, the 5X lens is perfect for long distance viewing, but some buyers consider it less usable when it comes to shorter distances. Some have suggested the Digital Ranger be bought together with a short distance wearable goggle device to compensate for this problem.
Overall, the Yukon monocular is definitely considered to offer good value for the money. Although it basically cuts the regular price you’d get on other goggles and monocular gadgets to half, the Yukon YK28041 digital ranger 5 x 42 Night Vision Monocular works almost perfectly and has numerous high quality features to offer, especially when it comes to enhancing the clarity and brightness of the images it can obtain in both pitch black and slightly lit conditions.